Visit to the Queen Mary’s Hospital to review the East End Arch
Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London, Mr Kim Bromley-Derry, received HRH The Duke of Gloucester, as Patron of the Heritage of London Trust, at a visit to Queen Mary’s Hospital for the East End Arch, at Chopwell Close, Stratford, London E15.
Queen Mary’s Hospital for the East End originated as the West Ham, Stratford and South Essex Dispensary, opened in July 1861 by local doctor William Elliot. The hospital once had a 32-bed accident unit with five doctors, three consulting surgeons, a matron, four nurses and two probationers to save the long journey to the London Hospital, whilst the Old Dispensary became its outpatients department. Only the arch survives and restoration has started, which will involve a DOFF clean and poultice.