As His Majesty’s Representative in Greater London the Lord-Lieutenant is charged with responsibility for five core areas of activity, all of which with a focus on enhancing Londoners’ sense of belonging to the city and the country:
- Royal visits – receiving members of the Royal Family at visits in Greater London, receiving visiting Heads of State to the UK in Greater London, and helping organise said visits;
- Honours and awards – promoting national honours and awards, organising the presentations of the British Empire Medal to recipients in London, validating local nominations, and supporting the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise and Voluntary Service;
- Military liaison – supporting the local military (regulars, reserves and cadets) in concert with the Greater London Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association, of which the Lord-Lieutenant is President;
- Civic and charity support – working closely with elected representatives in London’s 32 Borough Councils and the Greater London Authority to pursue mutually beneficial objectives; and
- Community engagement – encouraging and supporting positive community cohesion and engagement.
- Recognising the Lieutenancy
- Precedence and Protocol